We know how packing can be a stressful and daunting task, so here s a few tips to help with the process.
Before you start
• Make a priority packing list.
• Take time to go through your belongings, this is the perfect time to have a clear out. Decide what you want to keep, what to send to the charity shop and what can go in the bin.
• Make sure you have enough boxes and get them in a variety of sizes. Also make sure you have enough bubble wrap, strong tape, and self seal bags. Save old newspaper to act as lining for the boxes.
• Make sure you don’t pack too much into the boxes as they may be too heavy to carry. The last thing you need is the bottom falling out of a box.
• Check your contents insurance will cover damage or breakages during the move.
• Keep all hazardous materials, such as bleach and paint separate from the rest of your possessions.
• You will not be able to unpack everything on the first day so pack an essentials box for your first night in your new home. This should contain tea, coffee, snacks, cups and a kettle.
• If you are moving with your family, have an overnight bag prepared for everyone and make sure there is enough toiletries.
• Other useful items that should be kept close to hand are a torch, a first-aid kit including pain relievers, pencil and paper, and re-closable plastic bags, along with a small tool kit.
• Try and have all laundry finished before you move, you do not want to be packing damp clothes.
• Make sure that the items you need least are loaded up first.
How to pack sensibly
• Packing always takes longer than you think, so take all things into consideration whether its reminiscing over old photos or discovering that you need to dismantle the wardrobe to fit it out the door.
• Begin at the top of the house and work downwards.
• Make sure your boxes are not too heavy; you don’t want to injure your back.
• Clearly label your boxes and keep all the boxes for each room together. Also visibly mark the boxes containing fragile items.
• Ensure that everything is well lined; pillows and blankets are useful for wrapping valuables or protecting furniture that may scratch or break easily.
• Pack all important documents together, such as passports, birth and marriage certificates and keep them in a safe place